Thursday, August 11, 2022

Wednesday, Day 7, Sturgis 2022

 Got on the road about 9a.m. today. It was going to be a super hot day, close to 100 degrees so to better cope with it I got out my Cool Vest to wear under my jacket. What a Cool Vest is is a vest that you soak in water and wring out most of the excess water and put it on over a t-shirt and under your jacket. I wear a ventilated jacket so the wind moving through it makes it act like air conditioning. It works very well and when it drys you just rewet it. I had to rewet it about 5 times yesterday. It helped tremendously in conquering the heat. I left camp and my first stop was the Harley tent in Sturgis. I picked up my ride pin for HOG members and talked to one of the reps about their passenger seats and what I didn't like about them.

When I left Sturgis I took the quick route down to Hot Springs to visit my friends Preston and Eugenia at their rock shop. Spent a couple hours talking with them. They say business has been good which I'm glad to hear. I've known them for over 30 years. Great people.

Next stop was Custer and then on to Hill City. In Hill City I took the road that follows the tracks of the 1880 train and actually got a picture of it, not a great picture but a picture. When I got to Keystone I went through town and picked up road 244 otherwise known as the needles Highway. This is where Mount Rushmore is located. Then it was back to Hill City for fuel.

My camping cabin and bike.

Downtown St. Onge. built 1902.

St. Onge building 1910

Hot Springs.

Hot Springs train depot now the Info center.

My friends rock shop in Hot Springs.

They are adamant about no masts. Only robbers wear masks.





Custer.


Near Crazy Horse.

Crazy Horse Monument.


My bike near Crazy Horse.



1880 Train.



Mount Rushmore.

Side view.



The daily train out of Belle Fourche headed east with a load of bentonite. About 30 cars worth. There is a large processing plant and mine outside of Colony WY. this stuff is in everything. Look it up.

Cars filled with Bentonite.


No comments:

Post a Comment