Saturday, August 6, 2022

Sturgis Rally 2022

 Left for Sturgis motorcycle rally on Thursday August 4. This will be my 46th rally in a row and never trailered. Left my house in northern Wisconsin about 9am. Went as far as Faulkton SD my usual stop for the night. It is 475 miles from home and takes about 10 hours. I take my time, no need to rush. It was an uneventful first day, just the way I like it. Ran into a crosswind from the south from Montivideo MN to Faulkton SD. It wasn't bad though, maybe 10-15 mph. Had a good nights rest until about 4 in the morning when the person in the room above mine got up and put there boots on and tromped around getting ready to leave early. This lasted about a half an hour and then I was able to get back to sleep for a couple more hours. When I checked out the desk person asked how things went  and I relayed to her about the person above me and she said that she knew who I was talking about because they requested a 2nd floor room so they wouldn't have to listen to somebody above them tromping around and waking them up. How ironic.

Friday started out with a strong crosswind from the south for the first 125 miles at about 15 or so mph not too bad just annoying. After that the wind pretty much layed down for the rest of the ride to the campground 130 miles further down the road. So on Friday it was 255 miles total. I stopped in Faith SD at the museum for about an hour. It is a nice little place and the gal there really knew the history of the area. Well worth the stop. Leaving there it had gotten into the 90's so I put on my cool vest for the last 120 miles. What a life saver. By the time I got to the campground it was 98 and sunny without much wind, just plain hot. Spent the rest of the day around the campground relaxing and visiting with other campers. Left the campground twice to run into Belle Fourche which is about 4 or so miles away. Once for dinner and once for gas and the liquor store.

I will now post a few pics that I took on friday. You can find more pics of this route by looking at (Sturgis 2021) post.

Yup this is SD
About a 10 minute delay on HWY 212, repaving work.
More Prairie.
A ranch out in the country.
The long and unwinding US HWY 212 in western SD.
And yes there are trees out on the prairie.
At the musuem in Faith SD.
Musuem building.
Original town of Faith icehouse built in 1911. The town was founded in 1910.
Halfway to the north pole.
Train History of the area.

Quilt from 1932-33.
Story behind the quilt.


No comments:

Post a Comment