Saturday, March 10, 2018

Riding Time; Snowmobile/Fat Tire

Today, Saturday the 10th of March I feel lucky to say that the trails are in good shape for the most part. I was able to get in a 32 mile ride this morning. It entailed about 22 miles of winding my way through the forests and about 10 miles of lake running. The lakes are interesting. Early in the year they were very smooth with a nice snow cover and running fast (80-90mph) was no issue. Now that the ice is very thick it seems to have developed pressure waves or something. Like a roller coaster. You need to pay a lot closer attention before you go and pin the throttle, as you may get thrown off if you hit one wrong. No it hasn't happened to me, yet. A few trail pics.
Out on trail 14 on the Tiger Cat Flowage.
Trail shots from trail 77. The snow we had last monday night really helped to prolong the riding season. It's amazing what 6-9 inches of snow can do.
The route I chose today, mainly trail 77, crosses the American Birkebeiner trail in a couple of places.
Today they were running the Fat Tire Birkie. Your choice 21K or 47K. I believe that the riders I saw were on the longer course.
Here I am parked at one of the crossings on trail 77. Stopped to take pics of some of the riders.
A couple riders coming by on a perfect day to be out doing anything.
A snowmobile crosses the junction after a full stop. Skiers/fat bikes have the right of way.
A few more riders.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a beautiful day to be out!! Interesting about the ice on the lakes...ride safe!

    ReplyDelete