Thursday, February 21, 2019

Clam Lake in a snowstorm

On Weds Feb 20th we (Gib, Jean and I) decided to make a run over to Clam Lake for lunch. When we left at 9:30am it was snowing lightly. Then in a short time it was snowing heavily most of the time and continued to do so until after I got home at 2:30pm. We ended up getting 7" at our house.
In the woods on the trails it was delightful. The trails were for the most part groomed expertly with only a very few rough areas, Moguls which were spaced to close together to have any fun on. I really enjoy riding a groomed trail which has a fresh couple inches of snow on top. On the ride back we crossed Lost Land Lake in almost a white out. It was hard to see more than one trail marker ahead. When I got to my turn on the Tiger Cat Flowage I couldn't really see it. I ended up off the trail in the deep stuff. I just kept the power on until I could pick out my entry into the woods and the trail to home.
Our route was clockwise; 14 to 5 to 77 to 8 to Clam Lake. Coming back we took 8 to 3 to 25 to 5 to 14.
Snow total for yesterday and my tracks in after our ride.
Another great day to be out with my friends Gib and Jean.
Not snowing to hard right now.
Stop, check the map, blow your nose and enjoy the surroundings.
It's beginning to snow for real now.
Ranson's Place; nice small bar with great food. Chili and grilled cheese, very good lunch.
Back on the trails.
At the intersection of trails 8 & 3.
Red Deer Lodge and Resort our last stop on todays ride. Our machines getting covered in snow after only minutes of stopping for a beverage.
Total mileage for today is 78.5 miles. 42.5 to Clam Lake but only 36 back home. 3.1 gallons gas.
Hope to be riding this weekend.
Later

1 comment: