Monday, August 10, 2020

Sturgis 2020----"Rolling the Dice"

 I decided to make my annual trip to Sturgis for the rally. This year makes number 44 in a row and never trailered. This year because of Covid-19 I had to go through North Dakota. The Indian reservations were not letting tourist traffic through on what would be my normal route so I decided to give North Dakota a try. It was a good choice. I left home at 8:30 am and headed west on WI 77. I passed through Danbury WI; Hinckley, Malmo, Brainerd, Staples, Vining, Breckenridge MN; Wahpteton, Edgeley, and Jamestown ND. Staying overnite in Jamestown at the Hampton Inn. 475 miles clocked today including the two detours. I don't know how many miles it added, I don't think to many. Pulled into the Hotel at 6 pm. It was a great day for a ride.

Suited up and ready to go, just had to put on my gloves. Decided to take the Yamaha FJR 1300 this year. It had fresh rubber front and back.


First real stop to stretch my legs and walk around a bit. North end of Mille Lacs lake. This was about 150 miles from home. I had stopped for gas at about the 95 mile mark in Hinckley MN.

There is a sculpture park in Vining MN.

There are about 10 sculptures on display.



These are very cool, they're all steel.



I like the Martian one.


If you look close you can see that this one is made entirely of old lawn mower blades.

on this one the football is made of old lawn mower blades.

This was taken at Clitherall MN. An early resort area in western MN.



North Dakota Hwy 13 was a very good road as was MN 210 out of Brainerd. Not much traffic. In ND I did alot of running at 75-85mph along ND13.

Tomorrow it's about 390 miles to my friends house outside of Belle Fourche SD. From their house I can do the riding I love to do out here without having to interact with the masses. I may ride through downtown before I head home on Thurs or Fri.

I've been wearing my mask and staying away from people.

That's all for now.


2 comments:

  1. Great pics - love the elephant! Have fun, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty cool art park in Vining. Solo trips are fun, no waiting for someone to catch up, no one to slow you down, and you can stop for pictures whenever or wherever you want.
    Enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete